Two weeks on the wing

At sunset tonight, I found all three juveniles in their usual area, looking sleek and well fed, with evidence of a recent galah kill on a rock near the dead tree.  Here are our sisters Mell and Rubi on the same branch, after I disturbed one of them on the prey (nothing much left but feathers).

A

2nd-sister-1024x1024 sister-close-1024x1024 sisters-on-same-branch-1024x1024

And here is Vim, the little brother, for once on a lower branch.

Vim at sunset
Vim at sunset

And looking right at me

Vim looking straight at the camera
Vim looking straight at the camera

And Diamond circling above me, ensuring I mean no harm

diamond-on-patrol-1024x1024

Interestingly there were starlings, mapgpies and willie wagtails in the same dead tree, with the willies giving Mell a hard time when she moved into a different tree for a while.  I’ve never seen magpies or willies on the menu, but the starlings should watch out!

I’ve got to organise two year final parties this weekend and early next week (one musical, one landcare), so might leave them to it for a few days.   Obviously, they don’t need our help any more.

18 thoughts

1. Thanks for the beautiful photographs, Cilla. Diamond sure is an awesome mother to have raised these three beautiful juveniles under such trying circumstances.

2. I went to try and catch them ‘training’ this morning as I had a spare hour, but it was all quiet except for Vim snoozing on a branch in the warm sunshine and a pair of kestrels that kept me amused. The dead tree was full of live ‘prey’: starlings, rosellas and other parrots, but Vim snoozed on.

I spent some time snooping around under the 4 large trees in the area and found evidence of 3 galahs, 2 pigeons and 1 rosella.

3. Hello from the Wild West (visiting my daughter and looking for birds I don’t see at home). What a treat to log on and find 3 updates at once! Fab pics of the young’ uns, Cilla – haven’t they all done well to get this far after such a rough start? Love the extra pics of the surrounding landscape too – especially the views to the “family home” from elsewhere in their domain.