Wild weather and milestones

We had a very wet week, which was a great relief for this district due to looming bushfire season.   There was 61 mm in my rain gauge over the four days, about a month’s worth.  Bad news for the cherry orchardists, who always seem to get rain or hail just before harvest.

Here is short video of the storm we had yesterday, which was really quite wild.  All four birds have been seen since, I hasten to add.

VIDEO OF STORM:  https://youtu.be/Y7xl-oYrANM

and a nice one of Diamond arriving after the storm, wringing wet with punk hairdo.

VIDEO OF DIAMOND, AFTER STORM.

Meanwhile the youngsters, whilst still honing their skills on cicadas, who are still deafening the campus with their high decibel (90-95) calls, appear to be finally moving onto vertebrate prey.  Here we see one of the juveniles (we think Budhin) with a small passerine, that I’ve so far failed to identify.   Of course, it is possible that this prey was handed (?) to Budhin by one of the parents, but I have a strong suspicion this was his own catch.

VIDEO OF JUVENILE WITH PREY: https://youtu.be/aWCSi35u-gY

There has been considerable discussion about which juvenile is which and I agree that it is pretty hard.   Although there is a clear difference in size between the youngsters when you see them together on a tree outside, when they come to the box (separately), the differences are not that apparent.   One is as big as Xavier (Budhin) and appears to have a slightly more ragged tail band, and one is slightly bigger (Gaama) with a smoother tail band.  Neither are as big as Diamond, however, making me a bit suspicious of whether we in fact have a female – they should be larger at this age.  Your comments are welcome!

Sorry I don’t have any stills.  I’ve either been without the 4Wd, or without my camera, or it was pouring with rain.   So here is a fairy-wren.  This was taken on the lawn just below the tower.  He’s fairly safe as they are tiny, but we do know falcons will take them for a snack!  the males are very territorial and faithful to their several wives.  The wives, on the hand, are little hussies, often sneaking off to mate with a more colourful neighbour, and then creeping back at dawn to their reliable, if duller, provider!

Superb fairy-wren, male

4 thoughts

1. Nice shows for viewers these days, night and day. Thunderstorms, foggy morning. Punk Diamond. And the cicadas…
    Thanks for this update, Cilla.

2. I’ll see your storm and raise you one – 110mm in my gauge in 2 days and the whole town nearly floated away! The SES folk were kept pretty busy, that’s for sure – but as you say, with fire season looming, we’re not complaining about rain!

Re the juveniles – I think I’ve said it before, but I would’ve put money on them both being the same gender.

3. Thanks for the update about the storms, Cilla; relieved to know that both juvies got through the weather okay